Constructed in 1926, the Class 1 Historic El Paseo Building is an early Palm Springs landmark much loved for its Spanish eclectic style and handsomely appointed courtyard..
The space now occupied by Workshop Kitchen + Bar has been home to several art galleries in its past; to Palm Springs City Council in the 40's; to a movie theatre in the 50's that sold tickets and popcorn in the courtyard (the Tamarisk suites were at this time a popular soda fountain); and most recently a showroom for Design Within Reach.
03, now occupied by Raymond Lawrence was home to the El Paseo Market in the 30's, and then to the posh grocer Jurgensen's from the 40's through the early 80's.
Peter Mahler, managing partner of El Paseo Holdings carefully restored the building in 2007 along with the world-class, Los Angeles based architecture and design firm Rios Clementi Hale.
Workshop Kitchen + Bar has conducted a complete conversion of the space from retail to commercial kitchen throughout 2011 and 2012. We hope that our adaptive reuse of such a special place will lead to many years of appreciation and enjoyment of the great gifts of food, drink, good design and neighborhood.